ERM welcomes any ASEE member into its ranks. It’s easy to join using one of two paths:
- Indicate your desire to join ERM on your ASEE membership application or renewal by checking the appropriate box and pay the annual dues of $3, or
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask that the Educational Research and Methods Division be added to your membership profile.
As a member you are invited to join your fellow ERM members at any ERM meeting during the ASEE Annual Conference, or join us at our annual Frontiers in Education Conference.
Note: National members of ASEE may join up to 6 professional interest divisions, of which no more than 3 can be divisions that do not charge dues.
Check the appropriate box for ERM membership on your annual ASEE membership renewal, or at other times of the year, email email@example.com with your ASEE member number and ask that ERM be added to your membership.
ERM Volunteering Opportunities
ERM, like other ASEE Divisions, has many volunteer opportunities. These include officer positions, committee appointments, reviewers, etc. Elections for officers – chair, secretary/treasurer, and directors – are held each year prior to the ASEE conference. Those interested in an officer position should attend the ERM business meetings held at both the ASEE and FIE conferences. Appointments to serve on the nomination committee or any of the awards comittees (e.g. Ben Dasher or Helen Plants; Apprentice Faculty Grants and Best Paper) are made throughout the year. Respond to these calls made by the chair via email and at the business meetings.
Volunteering to help ERM does not mean having to hold an offiical title. Most ERM members volunteer mainly through the FIE conference in the Fall and the ASEE conference in Spring/Summer. Reviewers and session chairs are always needed for both conferences. All ERM members are added to the ERM listserv, which posts opportunities to review and chair.
To volunteer as an FIE session chair, please log into your EDAS account at www.edas.info, go to My TPCs, click on the gavel icon in the “Volunteer as a Session Chair” column, and select the session(s) that you would be willing to chair. Session chairs play an important role in ensuring the conference runs smoothly and that the technical presentations are a valuable experience for both speakers and attendees. The primary responsibilities of session chairs are to:
- Read your session’s papers in advance, so you can help the Ben Dasher Best Paper committee review the papers in your session.
- Contact the authors in the session to make sure you know which authors will be presenting and how to pronounce their names.
- Introduce the session and make any FIE announcements that are needed.
- Briefly introduce each speaker and paper.
- Manage time during the session, holding each presentation to its time limit.
- Similar opportunities will be posted throughout the year to volunteer to review abstracts and papers; and chair sessions for the ASEE Annual Conference. Be sure to check your email for these announcements.